How do I delete 1000 lines in vi?
Delete All Lines
- Press the Esc key to go to normal mode.
- Type %d and hit Enter to delete all the lines.
Which vi I command should one use to delete the first 10 lines of a file in normal mode?
To delete ten lines you would issue the command “10dd”. To delete the first ten lines of a file, you need to go to the first line, which can be done with the vi command “1G”, and then enter “10dd”.
How do I find the first 100 lines in Linux?
Type the following head command to display first 10 lines of a file named “bar.txt”:
- head -10 bar.txt.
- head -20 bar.txt.
- sed -n 1,10p /etc/group.
- sed -n 1,20p /etc/group.
- awk ‘FNR <= 10’ /etc/passwd.
- awk ‘FNR <= 20’ /etc/passwd.
- perl -ne’1..10 and print’ /etc/passwd.
- perl -ne’1..20 and print’ /etc/passwd.
How do I remove leading spaces in Unix?
Use sed ‘s/^ *//g’, to remove the leading white spaces. There is another way to remove whitespaces using `sed` command. The following commands removed the spaces from the variable, $Var by using `sed` command and [[:space:]].
How do I delete all content in vi?
Immediately after opening a file, type “gg” to move the cursor to the first line of the file, assuming it is not already there. Then type dG to delete all the lines or text in it.
How do I delete multiple lines in vi?
delete multiple lines in vi editor
- Go to the first line that you want to delete.
- Press the ESC key.
- Press the number of lines you want to delete, followed by dd (eg. 5dd or 9dd)
How do I delete 10 lines in vi editor and undo the changes?
Undo changes in vim / Vi
- Press the Esc key to go back to the normal mode. ESC.
- Type u to undo the last change.
- To undo the two last changes, you would type 2u .
- Press Ctrl-r to redo changes which were undone. In other words, undo the undos. Typically, known as redo.
What does Dmesg command do in Linux?
The ‘dmesg’ command displays the messages from the kernel ring buffer. A system passes multiple runlevel from where we can get lot of information like system architecture, cpu, attached device, RAM etc. When computer boots up, a kernel (core of an operating system) is loaded into memory.
What is the use of the Mapfile command?
mapfile also called (read array) is a command of the Bash shell used to read arrays. It reads lines from the standard input into an array variable.
How do I delete a trailing space in vi?
One way to make sure to remove all trailing whitespace in a file is to set an autocmd in your . vimrc file. Every time the user issues a :w command, Vim will automatically remove all trailing whitespace before saving.
How do I get rid of extra spaces in a text file in Linux?
The right tool for the job
- tr -d ‘ ‘ < input.txt > no-spaces.txt.
- tr -d ‘[:blank:]’ < input.txt > no-spaces.txt.
- tr -d ‘[:space:]’ < input.txt > no-spaces.txt.
How do you select multiple lines in vi?
Manipulate multiple lines of text
- Place your cursor anywhere on the first or last line of the text you want to manipulate.
- Press Shift+V to enter line mode.
- Use navigation commands, such as the Arrow keys, to highlight multiple lines of text.
- Once the desired text is highlighted, use commands to manipulate it.
How to delete 100 lines from vi editor using single command?
Delete 100 lines from vi editor using single command. 1 delete 100 lines forward from (including) the current one. 1.1 repeat dd (delete current line) 100 times: 100dd. 1.2 delete from current line to 99 lines forward d99j.
Why is my VI delete command repeating 100 times?
Prefacing that command with 100 causes it to repeat 100 times. If there are fewer than 100 lines in the file starting from the current line, depending on the vi implementation, it will either fail to delete any or delete as many as there are.
How to delete text from line 45 to line 101 in Vim?
I want to delete text from line 45 to line 101. Go to line 45 ( 45G) then delete text ( d) from the current line to the line 101 ( 101G ). Note that on vim you might use gg in stead of G. The command above from his answer requires 9 times typing including enter, where my answer require 8 – 10 times typing. Thus, a speed of my method is comparable.
Does 100dd delete all lines from a file?
Doing something like 100dd would only delete up to 100 lines from where you are, and that may not delete all lines from the file, depending on your current line position. Show activity on this post.