How serious is a 103 degree temperature?
High fevers are 103 degrees or above. A potentially dangerous fever begins when your temperature is at least 104 degrees. If you have a fever that is 105 degrees or higher, you need immediate medical attention.
What does 103 fever indicate?
A high fever is when the body temperature rises above 103 degrees Fahrenheit in an adult (or above 101 degrees Fahrenheit in a child). A fever this high may indicate the presence of a serious infection that has triggered your immune system. The fever is the immune system’s attempt to kill the infection.
When should I take my toddler to the ER for a fever?
For babies and toddlers between the age of 3 months and 3 years, visit the pediatric ER if the child’s temperature is above 102.2 degrees, or if the child is displaying these symptoms: Difficulty waking up. Not urinating. Unable to keep fluids down.
Is 103.4 a high fever for a 2 year old?
In babies and children older than 3 months, a fever is a temperature greater than 101.5 degrees F. Call your doctor if your child’s temperature reaches 102.2 degrees F or higher. Most fevers go away in a couple of days. Call your doctor if the fever lasts four days or more.
How do you treat a 103 fever?
To treat a fever at home:
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated.
- Dress in lightweight clothing.
- Use a light blanket if you feel chilled, until the chills end.
- Take acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, others). Follow the directions on the label.
What do you do for a 103 fever?
Call your doctor if your temperature is 103 F (39.4 C) or higher. Seek immediate medical attention if any of these signs or symptoms accompanies a fever: Severe headache. Unusual skin rash, especially if the rash rapidly worsens.
How do you lower a fever of 103?
How to break a fever
- Take your temperature and assess your symptoms.
- Stay in bed and rest.
- Keep hydrated.
- Take over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen and ibuprofen to reduce fever.
- Stay cool.
- Take tepid baths or using cold compresses to make you more comfortable.
Is 103.1 a high fever for a child?
A fever starts with any temperature that reaches 100.4°F or above. A temperature between 100.4°F and 102.2°F is considered a low-grade fever; a temperature above 102.2°F is considered a high fever.
Should I take my child to the ER for 103 fever?
But if your child has a 103° F fever, is lethargic and isn’t eating or drinking, then he or she probably needs to be seen by the doctor. Also call your child’s doctor if your child has a fever of 104° F or higher or if he or she has had a fever for 4 or more days in a row.
How can I lower my 104 fever for a toddler?
Alternating Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen
- Use both if the fever is over 104° F (40° C) and unresponsive to one medicine alone.
- Give a fever medicine every 4 hours (acetaminophen every 8 hours and ibuprofen every 8 hours).
- Only alternate medicines for 24 hours or less, than return to a single product.